Saturday, August 22, 2009

So then, something more like this for a multi-edition product.


The consensus seems to be, that a multi-edition product would be best served by a minimalist stat-block, with the remainder of the information folded into the descriptive text where applicable.

I think then, I'd just cut the stats to only the ones that appear in all editions across the board.


Armor Class:

Hit Dice:

Movement:

Number of Attacks:

Damage/Attack:


That's really the core of any monster information. Then all other stat information is woven into the monster description. Special attacks or defenses, magic resistance, etc....


Of course, now I suppose I'd have to give armor class as both ascending and descending numbers.

Hmmmm, now I'm more inclined to just stay with standard AD&D stats anyway. AD&D really is the Rosetta stone of gaming.


I have to laugh, I've done this many times before. Reinvent the wheel, or climb that mountain and find that Gary Gygax is already there, waiting for me.


2 comments:

Ragnorakk said...

I have to laugh, I've done this many times before. Reinvent the wheel, or climb that mountain and find that Gary Gygax is already there, waiting for me.

heh. true!

Gamer Dude said...

Not related...but I LOVE that illustration! It's one of my all time faves, and brings back the joy of that first time I ever cracked the PHB. Ah...so long ago.